Lodging and Meal Plans
The YMCA of the Rockies offers a fabulous site for our annual meeting. The location adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park provides incredible scenic views, abundant birds, bugling elk, and wonderful hiking opportunities. As almost all meeting participants will be staying onsite and dining together, we are looking forward to excellent opportunities for scientific exchange and networking among meeting participants.
It is highly recommended that you make your reservations early for your stay at the YMCA of the Rockies for the meeting.
Lodging and Meal Plans
To keep meeting costs as reasonable as possible, our venue this year is a nonprofit organization, the YMCA of the Rockies. Thus, participants will find some aspects of the reservation process to be different than for a hotel.
- The Societies have negotiated a reduced rate for a 5-night stay, arriving 23 Sep and departing 28 Sep, which includes three meals a day. This cost is less than the cost of booking meals and accommodations on your own for 4 nights, so meeting participants planning to stay for 4 or 5 nights should book the meeting package. We have a block of rooms in the Central Lodges, Wind River Lodge, Alpen Inn, and Mt. Ypsilon Lodge.
- Meeting participants arriving on 22 Sep for Board/Council meetings, workshops, and field trips, should reserve lodging for 5 nights online and phone the YMCA of the Rockies to extend your reservation for the night of 22 Sep.
- Meeting participants who will be arriving before or departing after the meeting dates should also phone the YMCA to extend their stays beyond the 5-night package and mention that they will be attending the AOU/COS/SCO meetings to assure the negotiated rates when applicable.
- If you would like to stay only 1-3 nights, call the YMCA for your reservation. There are no negotiated rates for stays shorter than 5 nights, but rest assured, the rates will still be reasonable!
- YMCA of the Rockies has a policy require a deposit of 35% when a reservation is made. Reservations that are canceled within 30 days of the visit will forfeit 25% of the deposit. Federal employees that need to cancel reservations because of travel nonapproval should contact the YMCA by phone upon cancellation to avoid this penalty.
Lodging and meal plan reservation can be made by online at https://www.ygroupres.org/AOU and by phone by calling 970-586-3341, ext. 1349. In order to receive the conference rate, reservations must be made by 22 August 2014. Roommate information should be included on registration form.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are included with your room fee, beginning with dinner on the night of your arrival and including breakfast and lunch on the day of departure. Meals are served every day in an all-you-can-eat buffet-style dining hall, the Aspen Dining Room. Start your day with fresh fruit and hot breakfast options. Lunch and dinner offer a fresh salad bar with healthy toppings and a wide variety of great entrees. Don’t forget to stop by the dessert table and taste the baker’s homemade goodies! Please contact the YMCA of the Rockies directly for special dietary concerns.
The YMCA hosts a wide variety of family activities, ranging from children's programs, arts and crafts, and yoga to scavenger hunts, horse-back riding, and basketball. They will finalize their activities schedule in mid-Sept.
If you are not staying at the YMCA there will be a daily fee required of $15 and if you will be attending any of the functions with meals, you will be expected to pay a fee for those meals. You will be contacted prior to the meeting about payment of those fees.
Internet access and cell phone coverage
The YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center has free wireless internet access throughout the property. The signal is strongest in the Administration Building and lodges. Cell phone reception is dependent on the type of phone and service provider (Verizon and ATT have the strongest reception here), but signals tend to be weak overall. There are public phones available for guest use.
Housing Reservation Delays
Due to an overwhelming work load in their reservations department, the housing staff at the YMCA at the Rockies asks that you not call or email for a few days, unless absolutely necessary. They are working through the needs of our group and some other large groups that will meet later this summer. They ask for your patience until they reach a point where they can deal with more incoming calls and emails. In the meantime, please continue to make your housing reservations and be careful to follow the instructions on the web site. Thus, if you require special accommodations, have questions, or need extra nights before or after the meeting, please use the special instructions box on the online housing registration form. The staff will look for these notes and deal with them accordingly. If you have already made your reservations, they will respond with receipts and confirmations as soon as they can.